Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Thumbs up to Janine Ortiz...a listener in Massillon


Here's Janine with her two shelter dogs and she writes.....

As far as the "pic telling a thousand words" ...Selena, my smaller dog, is more independent; after all she'd been through she looks so regal. Chevy, thinks he is a lap dog and likes to stay close to me. His bright eyes - a very aware dog. Then, of course, there is me with that shirt and my dogs - that could tell a keen observer alot about me.

As mentioned before, Chevy is an APL dog - from an APL shelter in Massillon, not Cleveland. Unfortunately, the Massillon shelter shut down. Adopting Chevy was about wanting a dog and also about adopting a homeless dog. I do not know exactly when he was born, but he was about 5 months old when I brought him home which puts him at about 6-1/2 soon. Chevy has been an absolutely awesome buddy; an intelligent and fun dog! He keeps me hopping.

As for Stark County Pound dog, Selena, it was not about really wanting another dog it was about making another small dent in the homeless dog situation. About 2-1/2 years after adopting Chevy I set out to adopt an older, less-likely-to-be-adopted, dog with pretty much no other requirements except being able to fit through our medium sized doggie door. On Dec 17, 2004 I pulled a nameless dog from the pound; she was dirty, emaciated, flea infested and freezing. I fed her a bit in the car and straight to the vet we went where it was obvious, also to the vet, that she had bonded to me all ready. I took her home, gave her a flea bath, kept her warm etc. Her actions showed she was grateful. It was one of the most rewarding things I'd ever done. How old? She refuses to tell me! Selena was pretty much nothing I'd ever wanted in a dog but she does not care because she won -- I love her to pieces!

You do not have to be someone who is working on animal welfare night and day to make a big difference. Adopting and caring for one shelter/rescue pet makes a huge difference for that pet and opens space and time for another. It also makes a difference through the unspoken message that it aims to send.

I used to fret about - and sometimes still do - not doing more, not saving more. One day a women who worked with a rescue organization said the me: "You adopted two dogs from shelters...? You did alot. Her words have stayed with me and have made me feel better.

...and a shirt says it all : )
What a beautiful story....share your shelter story with me at nancy@wdok.com.
If you need help finding a dog or cat, check out the many links of shelters on our website.....http://www.wdok.com/pages/102068.php

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've never left a comment on the internet at aqnytime, but since Janine is my sister...Thanks for giving her the recognition she deserves. You won't find a greater dog lover in the world.
Jim

Nancy said...

GOD LOVE YOU JANINE.
Your story brings tears to my eyes.
Nan