Monday, September 24, 2007

Anyone lost their dog in the Akron area?


Here's the email I got from a listener.....

Back in May, we found a very cute, long auburn haired dog which came wandering into our lives. I took her in to help her, knowing we couldn’t keep her and thinking I could find her a home. She was so charming, I didn’t think it would take long at all. She is a wonderful little dog, 37 lbs., very well trained, happy, active and fun loving, (see attached pictures) good with kids (at least 5 & up) BUT and there is a but, she is not good with cats – at all – and she doesn’t get along well with most other dogs. (although I think she possibly could learn to live with another dog but it would take a little work and maybe a little fighting). She’s not a vicious dog. I have consulted trainers and they tell me she is an alpha female. I need to find her a home where either people have the time and are willing to work with her to get her to accept another dog OR a family where she is an only dog, which would be the easiest. Not for lack of trying, we just haven’t been able to find that right home. If our lives were different, we would keep her ourselves, but without going into detail, you will have to trust me when I say that it just isn’t possible for us at this time. Keeping her as long as I have has stressed me to the point of needing medication (she was literally the straw) and my doctor has even gone so far as to tell me if I can’t find her a home then I should put her to sleep but I can’t do that!

I listed her with a local rescue group a couple months ago but that hasn’t turned up any potential adopters at all. And of course the foster homes don’t want to take her because they can’t manage her with all the other dogs they have.

So my question is, do you have any suggestions for other rescue groups or other ways to get her exposure? I of course, will continue to keep her till we find her a home, regardless. We live in the Akron area, but I will drive wherever. I would do anything to get her a good loving home, even if I had to drive her to Alaska! And by the way, I am starting obedience classes with her this Sunday to try and improve her behavior with other dogs.

Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Marcia Hanes-Sampson [msampson2@neo.rr.com ]

No comments: